This site includes the postings from the Irish Aires email list. This includes a listing of Irish/Celtic events in the Houston area and other information that the Irish Aires radio program posts.

Friday, November 09, 2007

Jack Hardy at Millbend Coffeehouse Sat Nov 10th

Millbend Coffeehouse presents Jack Hardy Saturday, November 10th at 8pm Jack Hardy is truly an icon among folk music enthusiasts. His Monday night song circles and workshops in Greenwich Village are legendary starting points for some of today’s top folk musicians. Jack is a consummate songwriter whose music is deep and meaningful. Jack mesmerizes his audience, spinning songs ranging from western ballads to Celtic enigma and Irish jigs. He was instrumental in founding The Songwriter's Exchange, The SpeakEasy Musician's co-op, and The Fast Folk Musical Magazine and nurtured countless songwriters, not the least of which are Suzanne Vega, John Gorka, Shawn Colvin, Richard Shindell and David Massengill. www.jackhardy.com This show will be one of the high points of our current very successful season. Award winning Alaskan singer-songwriter Buddy Tabor opens— arrive early-- as you won't want to miss a minute of his music. www.myspace.com/buddytabor Jack Hardy was the first person I met who really worked at writing songs, who took it seriously and went after the songs rather than waiting around for them to show up. -- John Gorka I once attended one of Jack Hardy's songwriting workshops. It has taken me fifteen years to understand what he is up to. I am in awe of what he does. -- David Wilcox Buddy is a player and a poet. -- Townes Van Zandt Millbend Coffeehouse meets the 2nd Saturday of every month and is a smoke free, family friendly environment. Tickets: $15 ($12 by Advance Purchase); Senior & Student: $12 ($10 by Advance Purchase); Children Under 12: $2. All proceeds after expenses benefit a local charity decided by audience vote. For additional information, to reserve seats, or to inquire about performing/opening at the Millbend Coffeehouse, please contact www.millbend.org or call (281) 350-3052(Teresa) or (936) 273- 0610(Pat). *Hear Brooks Williams (his blues slide work is renowned) perform on Saturday, November 17th at the Songbird Sanctuary House Concert. Call 713-524-6545 or email music@songbirdsanctuary.org until 11pm. Everyone brings their absolute best dishes to the potluck prior to the concert. *I'm interested in carpooling to hear legendary Hans Theessink on Tuesday, Nov. 20th at 7pm. This Writers in the Round event will happen at the Palomino Room, 6221 Edloe(at University Blvd.) in Houston 77005 Tickets $20 door $15 Advance, call 713-660-7500. lyrics to my favorite Jack Hardy song... I Ought to Know I ought to know more than I know I ought to know where this road goes I ought to know great literature by heart the history of art this I ought to know I ought to know more than 1492 I ought to know what the Buffalo Bills do I ought to know more than the quarterback's wounded knee what happened at Sand Creek this I ought to know but I don't I ought to know about the sacrifices made I ought to know ration stamps, air raids I ought to know more than George C. Scott and John Wayne get shot this I ought to know I ought to know what the drinking gourd means I ought to know more than "I have a dream" I ought to know about the back of the bus and the crack of billy clubs this I ought to know but I don't (chorus:) I don't know nothing about nothing but I'm proud to stand upright I don't know nothing about nothing but my future looks so bright illumined by the light laugh-tracks, soundbites and a replay to get it right I ought to know I ought to know the songs of Joe Hill I ought to know Trotsky, Marx and Hagel I ought to know about the Haymarket hangings and the H.U.A.C. this I ought to know I ought to know about Oliver Cromwell I ought to know about the Gnostics and St. Paul I ought to know what Jesus really said and who the preacher takes to bed this I ought to know but I don't I ought to know what's buried in the landfill I ought to know about the clear-cutting bills I ought to know about pipelines and schemes what extinction really means this I ought to know I ought to know for whom the bell tolls I ought to know the pride and prejudice of polls I ought to know if the grapes of wrath are union picked by Victor Jara's hands this I ought to know but I don't (repeat chorus)
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?